Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mini eggrolls...another munchie - and the leftovers was supper!



Many years ago when I was living in Ottawa, I took Chinese cooking lessons from Eliza Ko...Twenty years later I still pull out those original faded 8 by 12 inch sheets of recipes and cook up a Chinese storm!! This time it's just one item though..

Egg Rolls

You will need:
  • 1 cup of shredded cabbage and 1 cup shredded celery
  • 1/2 cup shredded bamboo shoots
  • 5 mushrooms shredded
  • 8 medium sized shrimps chopped
  • 1 clove garlic finely minced
  • 1/2 lb minced pork (now I know why I had leftovers, I used 1 lb...duh)!!

Marinate for pork

  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp light soya sauce
  • a few drops of sesame oil
  • 1 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

Mix well and add to pork.

Method:

  1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat, add garlic for a few seconds then add the pork stirring until meat has nearly all changed colour. Add the wine and shrimp and cook until shrimp is just pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
  2. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the wok over high heat and add celery and cabbage. Stir fry for 3 minutes, add bamboo shoots and mushrooms. Mix thoroughly. Return pork and shrimp mix to the pan and stir until well combined. Strain excessive liquid.
  3. To assemble, put 1 tbsp of mixture on an egg roll wrapper. Bring one side over the other and seal with water, then press the ends together sealing with alittle more water.
  4. Deep fry quickly in hot oil until lightly browned and drain on a paper towels.
  5. The recipe makes 20 egg rolls.

HOWEVER...I used wonton wrappers (way more work) but it makes ~60 mini egg rolls, great for a party. I freeze them, reheat in a 325 F oven for 5 minutes and serve hot with your favourite plum sauce!

Now dinner?? Because I had leftover pork mix(and shouldn't have), I added more mushrooms, cabbage, the leftover bamboo shoots, sliced a carrot and put it back on the stove. I added some more soya sauce, a good squirt of hoisin sauce and added a little pepper sauce too... Cooked up some basmatti rice, green beans with lemon and butter and presto... dinner. Good thing, I cooked all day and had nothing left for making dinner. It wasn't fancy but the leftovers didn't go in the garbage can either!

No comments:

Post a Comment