Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thanksgiving pumpkin pie



"Fine Cooking" magazine (number 101) has a new recipe for a Jamaican spiced pumpkin pie which sounded so good I thought I'd give it a try! I made the butter crust from a previous blog (crab quiche) and just added the filling and baked!








The filling is:

  • 1-15 oz can of pure pumpkin

  • 1 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk

  • 3/4 cups packed brown sugar

  • 1 tsp ground ginger

  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • freshly grated nutmeg .. a few grinds

  • 4 eggs

  • 2 tbsp spiced rum


Whisk together the first 7 items until smooth... Add eggs and rum, mix well. Pour into the pie shell. I made some little cutouts for the top... It's actually a holly cutout but I tried to make it look like a stalk of wheat! Oh well, at least I tried!

Bake at 425 F for 10 minute and reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for ~45 minutes until the pie no longer wobbles in the center. Cool on a rack.


I put the pie in the freezer for later use... Sunday! My friend Barbara freezes her cooked pies all the time and tells me just to remove the plastic and let it thaw for the day... I'm sure it'll be awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment